Nigeria: facts about the Nigerian superstar, Tems and his hit songs
Temilade Openiyi, known by her stage name as Tems, is a burgeoning Nigerian singer, songwriter and record producer who is currently making waves on the international and Nigerian music scene.
His talent and unique style have earned him hit songs and collaboration with national and international superstars. Tems is on the way to dominating the world right now.
To celebrate all of his current wins and more to come, we’re going to list facts about Tems you didn’t know and some of his hit songs from TrendyBeatz and Tunezjam.
Facts About Tems You Probably Didn’t Know:
– Tems was born in Lagos on 11 1995 to a Nigerian mother and a British father.
– After her birth in Nigeria, her family returned to the UK, but her parents’ divorce brought her and her mother back to Nigeria.
– Her mother started raising her on her own after her parents divorced when she was five years old. They settled in llupeju.
– Tems’ singing ability was noticed by his music teacher. It is then that she discovers that she can sing.
– She did her primary and secondary education in Lagos. She attended Dowen College Lekki.
– Tems was educated at the University of Johannesburg where she studied economics.
– Before Tems got into music seriously, she was marketing manager. She took on this role after graduating from the University of Johannesburg in South Africa.
– At 20, she started producing songs. She is a self-taught producer. Tems ventured into production after growing weary of producers sending it mediocre rhythms.
– The majority of the songs on her EP “Broken Ears” maiden were produced by her. She also wrote all the songs for the EP.
– Tems was inspired by Alicia Keys and Beyonce Knowles. Beyonce’s late band “Destiny Child” was instrumental in Tems’ love of music.
– In 2018, Tems released their first single “Mr. Rebel”.
– In 2019, her hit song “Try Me” put her in the limelight.
– Tems was nominated for the Headies 2019 for Best Alternative Song and Best Vocal Performance (Female).
– His first EP “For Broken Ears” was released in 2020. This EP included songs like Ice T, Free Mind, Interference, Higher, The Key, Damages.
– In February 2020, Tems was selected as one of the “10 artists to watch” by DJ Edu.
– In 2020, American singer Khalid recruited Tems to join him with Nigerian superstar Davido on an Afrobeats remix of ‘Know Your Worth’.
– In November 2020, Tems was named the new ‘Africa Rising Artist’ on Apple Music.
– Tems has appeared on Barack Obama’s reading list twice. Tems first appeared on Barrack Obama’s 2020 Playlist with her post on Khalid’s song “Know Your Worth,” and then on Wizkid’s Music “Essence” in which she also appeared.
– In 2021, Tems joined Wizkid to become the first Nigerians to appear on the Billboard Hot 100 with their hit song “Essence”.
Hit songs by Tems:
Tems is fortunate to have progressed so quickly in his young career.
Here are some of his hit songs:
1- Mr. Rebel
3- The free spirit
5- Try me
6- Looku Looku
7- These days