Shawn Mendes cancels remaining tour dates
Shawn Mendes announced on Wednesday that he was disconnecting the remaining dates of his tour.
“I have to take the time that I never took personally, to ground myself and come back stronger,” the Canadian singer wrote in a message to fans.
“I have to make my health my first priority.”
Mendes was scheduled to play July 31 and August 2 in Toronto and August 15 and 16 in Montreal.
“I know you’ve all been waiting so long to see these shows, and it breaks my heart to tell you this, but I promise I’ll be back as soon as I’ve had time to heal.”
Earlier this month, after taking the Wonder touring seven cities, Mendes said he was postponing 11 shows over three weeks to focus on his mental health.
“I’ve been touring since I was 15 and to be honest it’s always been hard being on the road away from my friends and family,” the 23-year-old wrote at the time. “After a few years without a road I felt ready to dive back in, but that decision was premature and unfortunately the toll of the road and the pressure caught up with me and I reached a breaking point.
“After speaking with my team and medical professionals, I need to take time to heal and take care of myself and my mental health, first and foremost.”
In April, Mendes revealed he “constantly” felt like he was “flying or drowning” and, despite his success, struggled “to feel like I wasn’t failing”. He wrote: “Sometimes I wonder what I should do with my life and what I always hear back is ‘tell the truth, be the truth’. I feel like it’s a hard thing to do though. I’m afraid that if people know and see the truth, they’ll think less of me. They might miss me.
“So in those times when I’m feeling down, I either put on a show or hide.”
Mendes added: “The truth is, I really want to come out in the world as my one and 100% honest true self and not care what other people think…sometimes I really don’t care what people think. and I feel free Most of the time it’s (sic) a struggle.
The Canadian singer said he felt both “overwhelmed and over-stimulated”, but added “I’m fine”.
Mendes followed up the note with tweets in which he assured his fans that he was doing “so great.” He shared: “I guess I’m screwed if I feel this with all the blessings I have, I imagine there must be so many people who feel this and just don’t want them to feel this. alone!!”
Shawn Mendes reveals anxiety made him unable to sing
Shawn Mendes talks about sexuality and masculinity
Shawn Mendes says he just can’t quit social media
Last year, Mendes spoke of “a really dark time” he went through before the pandemic.
“I had so much anxiety that I couldn’t sing anymore,” he said. QG. “It was all in my throat, which is what a lot of men feel. We often feel these emotions like tension in our back, neck and like pain in our body. I couldn’t sing anymore and I always wanted to ‘stop I didn’t want to stop.
Mendes added: “I was in this dark place and I had to do something. And I was picking on other people, like in my relationships. I didn’t want to be that person.
In 2020, Mendes said guys shouldn’t be ashamed of being vulnerable.
“We need to cry. Stop thinking it’s being brave and strong and start thinking it’s the opposite, actually,” he said. “We hold those emotions in and don’t cry — and are a**holes. None of this is nice.”
Mendes’ decision comes five years after fellow Canadian artist Justin Bieber unplugged his Goal World Round with 15 shows remaining, including two in Toronto. (Bieber later explained, “I was really depressed on tour…I was alone. I needed time.”) At the time, singer John Mayer tweeted his support. “When someone pulls the remaining dates of a tour, it means they would have done themselves real damage if they continued,” he wrote. “I give Justin [thumbs up] only to realize it was time to call her. You should too.”